Friday, March 03, 2006

Brokeback Murrow


Brokeback Mountain

Great movie. Politically, of course, I have to be behind it, but it is
way beyond that. Ang Lee is just plain good at his job, and does a great
job with a really good story from Proulx and McMurtry, and a great
performance by Heath Ledger. Top it off with Wyoming, and a great little
soundtrack (small, almost precious, pieces of guitar music, just enough to
be interesting, but not enough to be distracting)

The oscars for me boil down to this and Good Night and Good Luck. Both
movies I care about politically, as well as appreciating their craft. The
"free speech vs. patriot act/McCarthyism/bigoted idiots" and "gay rights
vs. hate crimes/Pat Robertson/bigoted idiots" aspect
of these movies resonates deeply with me, of course, and it is hard for me
to evaluate them on a purely cinematic basis. I want them both to be
acclaimed, so that more of the country hears these important messages.

However, cinematically, I think Brokeback is the narrow winner. I think.
It's real close. I guess I could sit around and watch them both over and
over just to decide. Wouldn't be bad, that.

No comments: