Monday, January 23, 2006

From: River Runs Through It-Norman MacLean

     "... but you can love completely without complete understanding."

     Now nearly all those I loved and did not understand when I was
young are dead, but I still reach out to them.

     Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of
course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends
think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where
the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start
fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light
of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and
memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count
rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise.

     Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through
it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks
from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless
raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are
theirs.

     I am haunted by waters.

I believe that this is the quote from the book. I believe that in the
movie he adds "even jessie" before "but I still reach out to them".
He leaves out (?) the 2nd sentence of the 1st paragraph, and then
leaves out the word "arctic" in the next sentence too. Otherwise it
is unchanged when Redford reads it at the end.

Just Beautiful.

No comments: